Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dr. Harry Pavulaan Posted a Letter to the Mailing List!

I subscribe to many lepidoptera mailing lists.  Many of the emails that come through are immediately moved to 'tended to' or simply deleted.  I don't have time to read all of them.  But a few minutes ago a letter was posted to a mailing list from Dr. Harry Pavulaan.  I immediately read it. 

That started me thinking - there are some people I'll stop doing nearly anything to listen to them.  They have so much knowledge and insight that it's an honor to learn from them.  Many of them have written books about butterflies and/or moths.  People like Dr. Thomas Emmel, Dr. Jaret Daniels, Marc Minno, Dr. Frank Davis, Dr. Chip Taylor, and so many more that I haven't named will always cause me to stop and listen or read what they have to say. 

I had hoped to meet another lepidopterist today, Dr. Andrei Sourakov, a professor at the University of Florida.  He wasn't able to make it because his baby became sick last night.  I was thinking about how disappointed I was (and thinking about the baby too) then started thinking about people and who we will always take time to listen to.  Some people will stop to listen to talks about birds, others cats, others ... well, every one of us seem to have a passion for something.

I'm thankful for those who have knowledge about butterflies and moths and take the time to share that knowledge.  Most work and live busy lives so taking time to share with others like myself is often a sacrifice for them.

Mary also took time to listen to her friend and mentor, Jesus.  Luke 10:39 "Mary, who also sat at the Lord's feet, and heard his word."  She stopped what she was doing to listen to Jesus.  Martha, her sister, also loved to listen to Jesus but let herself become encumbered with serving and missed the opportunity.  (That part is another whole story.)

While I am thankful for those who take the time to share about butterflies and moths, it's much more important that I take time to listen to Jesus, our Father, and the Holy Spirit.  I need to keep my passion for listening to Jesus more alive than my passion to listen to anyone or anything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment